You’ve finally found your new place: wonderful! It’s signed, sealed and you can really envision yourself set up there. But now you’re faced with a whole lot of little tasks to accomplish, besides the actual furniture move. Chin up – don’t let the little things bring you down. It’s a fresh start – a new chapter.
Keep reading below for the ultimate interactive checklist that’ll cut your moving monster down to bite size chunks:
1. Start here…
- Decide on the best moving date for your schedule
- Book your MetroMoving date
- Order a delivery of boxes and packing supplies from MetroMovers
2. Two Weeks Before…
Mark the date on your calendar – this is when the move starts getting real!
- Start packing room by room, labelling each box clearly as you go (box contents, room and if it contains fragile items)
- Set aside, throw or donate all your unwanted items (have you considered a garage sale or donating to the Salvos? They can even pick up large items!)
- Confirm parking availability at the pick-up and delivery addresses and / or get a temporary parking permit organised from the local council if needed.
3. One Week Before…
- Start reducing food in fridge and pantry. Experiment with cooking new dishes and use up what you’ve got!
- Separate all the items you’ll needed on moving day e.g. clothes, overnight carry bags, keys, contracts, medicines and toiletries.
- If you live in an apartment building, speak with the building manager to book your lift for the move
- Confirm any property settlement times
- Call your MetroMovers moving manager with any questions or concerns.
- Notify your neighbours of your move out date – give them time to plan your farewell/ good riddance party.
- Notify these organisations of your impending moving date and change of address. It can take them a few business days to get it sorted so you get a smooth, timely service transition:
- Telephone line
- Internet / cable services
- Electricity services
- Gas services
- Water services
- Australia Post mail redirect
- Your contents insurance agency
4. The Night Before…
The last night in your old place: emotions and memories swell, but you’ve got no time to dwell on the past. Tonight’s your chance to finalise any unfinished tasks (ie. Still packing?).
So down a double shot and get into gear: this “night before” checklist is going down!
- Finish packing all the essentials and non-essentials
- Do the rounds: check under the wardrobe, tables and couches to salvage soon-to-be-lost items
- Unplug and disconnect your washing machine and dishwasher and let hoses drain out or into a bucket
- Disconnect your BBQ gas bottle
- Prepare other appliances for removal
- Disconnect your fridge & freezer and empty what’s left into an esky. Then stick a towel under the door and leave it open to let any any built up ice melt and drain away
- If you have a car, park it in the best parking spot where you want you MetroMovers truck to stand. You can even put your bins out in the extra spaces to keep the parking spots available.
- Don’t forget to charge your phone overnight!
- Sleep well!
5. Moving Day!
Yay! It’s the BIG MOVING DAY and you don’t know what to do with yourself! Where’s the coffee? Why did you pack the sugar already? No worries: hop down to your favourite local café for a quick cuppa and get your head in gear before we call ahead to let you know your MetroMovers are on the way. Today’s going to fly!
- Receive a call from MetroMovers half an hour before your scheduled moving time to make sure you’re home and ready for our movers to arrive on time.
- Point out which boxes are marked ‘fragile’ to our movers, to make sure they aren’t missed.
- Twiddle your thumbs watching us work till everything is securely loaded up.
- Drive to your new address and tell our movers where to unload the furniture/ boxes.
- Wave goodbye to your MetroMovers and order yourself a pizza (told you to charge your phone overnight!)
6. Notifications that can wait till after you’ve moved:
Some things can wait till after the moving’s done, like notifying your change of address to institutions that’ll give you a grace period after moving, such as:
- Letting your local council know you’ve just moved in (and if you’ve got a pet)
- Banks and financial institutions (you’ve already done an Australia Post redirect!)
- Electoral commission change of address
- Your GP, dentist and vet
- VIC License / NSW License and motor registration
- Clubs, memberships and subscriptions
- Friends and family (well, some family at least)
- Notifying Word of Mouth and/ or Product Review what a fantastic moving experience you had with MetroMovers!